Toolkits and Resources
Getting connected to hot job opportunities
Students who wish to work need to get a Permit to Employ and Work other than for odd jobs such as yard work and baby-sitting. Get the permit from the public school district in which you live, or possibly your private school. For more information, click on Work Permits.
Students under the age of 18 must provide the employer a work permit. In order to receive your work permit, please follow the instructions below:
- Obtain a work permit from school (i.e. Counselor's Office, Career Center, Main Office) or school district office (during summer sessions). http://www.cde.ca.gov/ci/ct/we/
- At the time of hire, have the employer complete the 'Employer Section' on the Work Permit Form.
- A parent or guardian must also sign the Work Permit Form
- Once the form is completed with the proper signatures, return the form back to the school or the school district office (during summer sesssions).
- A work permit from the school will be issued.
Detailed information on laws that affect youth in California can be accessed by clicking on Labor Laws.
In collaboration with the Children’s Fund of San Mateo County, we provide interview attire to youth who are actively seeking employment. For more information, please contact a Jobs for Youth Specialist nearest you. Click here for locations.